Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I hate Apraxia

I don't use the "hate" word lightly.  But it is true, I hate apraxia.  It steals from my child and I hate it.  This week's speech therapy session went ok, but not great.  Peanut was a bit all over the place and hard to settle down to really work on his talking.  He flitted from one game to the next and if we tried to get him to work on words he didn't want to say he would just abandon the game and move onto something else.  But the reason that I just hate apraxia is having to watch him struggle.  We were playing a game and his slp asked him to say "take it" and he couldn't say it.  He kepts saying "tk it".  But the she asked him to say "take" and he said "take" perfectly but when paired with a simple word like "it" he loses the word.  This is because he has motor planned "take" but he hasn't motor planned "take it".  This is par for the course these days.  Peanut's vocabulary is constantly expanding but his sentence structures revolve around his motor planning.  So he will say "Sit you Mama now?" meaning "Can I sit with you now Mama?"  But if I ask him to say "Sit with you" just adding that "with" completely disintegrates his ability to motor plan the words he does know and he can't say the sentence.  I know that he is doing great and I know that he is just amazing in all that he has overcome but I hate what apraxia steals from him.

So needless to say we are still working on Who, What and Where but we are also trying to get the articles and prepositions into his sentences and into his motor-planning.  It is harder these days because if he doesn't want to say something he just skips that word that I have asked him to say and moves on.  We will prevail and I can't wait to say that Peanut is Apraxia resolved....we will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment