Monday, November 7, 2011

Speech Therapy 11/7

Peanut's SLP is noticing a trend that is both upsetting and heartening at the same time.  She is having a harder and harder time understanding him.  That doesn't sound good, right?  I am having to do a lot more translation for her through the sessions and had noticed the same thing.  She said that it is to be expected because his vocabulary is growing so much that now he is talking to her about things from the past or about his feelings.  Before he would only talk in 1-2 words and only about the objects in front of him.  Now he talks in 6-7 word sentences about whatever thoughts come into his head including stories of me taking his chicken at dinner. I wish that he was more clear when he was talking but I love his ever expanding vocabulary.

Today we worked on "I want the car" and "I need the car".  He would always say " I do want car" or "I do need car". This is because he has so carefully motor planned "I do" that he almost automatically adds it whenever he says "I".  He did great in his session and was very focused and cooperative.  He allowed any necessary prompting and played the games well.  We are continuing to work on "What is it?" and "Where is it?"  plus adding want, and need as well as any needed articles.

Peanut continues to be my hero every day by pushing through the struggle of talking every day to make sure that we know exactly what is going on in his adorable head.

No comments:

Post a Comment