Thursday, November 10, 2011

What is that?

When Peanut and I read books he is always pointing at different objects and demanding that I tell him what they are.  He is always saying "whhhhs mama" and since I know what he means I usually would answer him.  "That is a balloon"  "That is a bear".....

Over the last few weeks I have insisted that he says "What is that" and since he can't actually say all those words in order I would either accept "What that" or we would break it out and he would repeat each word one at time for me.  I think he was annoyed with me for making him do this but he was a trooper and either did what I asked or just stopped asking.

Tonight I was reading him and his brother a book.  He was talking to me but there was a commotion and I had to intervene with my other two kids and Peanut took my face in his hands, turned me to look at him and yelled "What is that Mama!??"  I was so surprised to hear all of those words I kissed him.  He wiped it off and pointed again.

It was short lived because when I asked him to say it again he couldn't do it, but we got it once and we will get it again!  It is very typical for apraxic kids to have an easier time saying things that they aren't asked or prompted to say.  Peanut can say things once and then if he stops to think too hard about it (because I have asked him to repeat it) he can't do it.  But we will keep practicing and celebrate each and every time he gets it!

No comments:

Post a Comment